Archive

AIU School at Akka, Morocco

The Alliance did not reach Akka, located in Morocco’'s Bled al-Siba, the rugged land beyond government in the Amazigh (Berber) south, until the late 1940s. A single, co-educational school was opened, and by 1956 reportedly had 26 students, eight of whom were girls. The school closed in 1962. The exact location of this school is unknown [1].

Description

Since ancient times, Jewish people have lived in Morocco. During World War 2, they endured much discrimination. However, after the war, the king of Morocco tried to encourage the people living in Morocco to be more tolerant toward Jews. The Jews in Morocco did face much discrimination and abuse, and some suicide bombers even tried to attack them. In response, the king has recently tried to encourage people to respect the Jews, and has even punished the attackers. Today, Morocco is one of the safest countries for Jews in the Arab world.

Our worldwide-connected human culture has impacted Jews in Morocco today. Many of the younger Jews study at universities outside of Morocco and do not return. As a result, the population of Jews in Morocco is decreasing, and there is a separation of the older and younger generations. In fact, the population of Jews in Morocco just before World War Two was 265,000, but the population of Jews in Morocco in 2006 was 2,500 [2].

In particular, Akka's Jewish community was established in the eighteenth century, and possilby earlier. During the Jewish emigration to Israel in 1962, the majority of Akka's Jewish population left the city. Today, Akka's synagogue in Tagadirt has fallen into disrepair, yet the three Jewish cemeteries have been protected by Akka's Muslim community [3].

Akka, Morocco

© Mapbox, © OpenStreetMap