1904 Dedication Plaque of the Alliance Israelite Universelle School;located in the center of Calle de la Escola (Kisthniou Street) The dedication plaque above the fountain of the Jewish school of Rhodes is all that exists today. The large two story building was damaged during the bombings of World War II and eventually came down during the 1960's.
During an August 1903 visit to Rhodes, the Baron and Baroness Edmond de Rothschild donated 15,000 francs to build the school. The school building was completed at the end of 1904. During the Italian occupation, the school changed its name to "Scuole Israelitiche Italiani". Different from previous schools in Rhodes, the Alliance school was attended not only by boys, but girls as well. Included in the entryway is a 1913 inscription that recognizes the beneficial deeds of the Italian regional administrator.