Holocaust Memorial; located in the Plateia Martyron Evreion ("Square of the Martyred Jews")
The Holocaust Memorial was dedicated on June 23, 2002 in memory of the World War II victims from Rhodes and the island of Cos. The dedication of the black granite column was a culmination of several years of planning by the Greek government in collaboration with the Jewish Community of Rhodes.
The monument is six sided, each having a different language: Greek, Hebrew, English, French, Italian and Judeo-Spanish ("Ladino"). The memorial is inscribed with the words: "IN ETERNAL MEMORY OF THE 1604 JEWISH MARTYRS OF RHODES AND COS WHO WERE MURDERED IN NAZI DEATH CAMPS. JULY 23, 1944."